Monday, February 9, 2009

String of Pearls at ART


Yesterday I rode my bicycle down to Artists Repertory Theatre (ART) to see String of Pearls. My boyfriend came with me, and although he was a little nervous that we might be seeing a "chick play" we both had a lovely time. I was very impressed with how four female actors could create so many women between them. Each actor played at least four characters during the play, and each one was totally different. Elizabeth Huffman, for example switched from exotic party princess, to frustrated business woman, to depressed New York mother, and finally to a lonely, overweight, grave-digging lesbian (my personal favorite).
In some ways, it was a "chick play." It was a story told by women, about women. The journey of the string of pearls was less important than the lives of the women it touched.

No comments: