Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fall of the House and The Usual Awesomes

Yesterday I flew back home to sunny Portland...well, it was sunny when I got here. So what should a jet-lagged, over-extended, exhausted traveler do upon arriving home but go to an evening of back to back raucous, slightly experimental theatre? The first show I saw was downstairs in The Blue Monk on Belmont. It was the last night of The Usual Awesomes by Superego Sketch Comedy. It was just a fun little thing. It was a really great show to watch with a group of friends. I'll certainly go to another production of theirs.
Next I headed across the street to Theater! Theatre! to watch Fall of the House. Personally, I have never been to an episode of Fall of the House, but I was with some real fans of the show. I must say, I think this is the coolest idea ever! An ongoing live drama? How neat! It's like live TV, and it's certainly amassing many Portland followers!
I found the show enjoyable. The way it harkened back toward tacky American Television was almost humorous. It also had an edginess to it as well. Fall of the House is so suited for the Portland scene! Parts of the show appeared to be rehearsed while others seemed to be improvised on the spot. I have to congratulate Amanda Jensen on her work playing Sam. She is a very believable young actor who kept on her toes and was awfully entertaining.
Fall of the House is in the middle of season four, but believe me, it was easy to follow and fun to watch!Italic

1 comment:

Herman said...

I have to agree: I saw the final episode of Season 3 of FOTH and almost laughed myself out of my chair! Sam is truly talented, and the concept of the show has some great potential. I'm excited for the season finale of Season 4 this weekend, and dread the long wait until Season 5 begins... I wonder if they'll outgrow Theater! Theatre!?