Thursday, March 12, 2009

Rutgers (My Visit to the MFA Program) 01

So last night, after leaving August Osage County on 8th and 45th I had to run like mad with my bags to 8th and 33rd to grab a train to New Brunswick on the New Jersey Transit. It was 5:20, just about time for everyone to get dinner before going to the evening Broadway performances, or for everyone who was just coming out of work to make it to the subway, or Port Authority, or, of course, Penn Station (where I was headed) to finally get their tired city-walking feet home. To make a long story short, there were people everywhere, it was the longest twelve blocks I've ever had to travel.
I did make it to the 6:15 train, and an hour later I was stepping out onto the charming main road of New Brunswick, George Street. A few first year MFA (Masters in Fine Arts) students, who are referred to here as MFA 1's, came to pick me up, and I ended up spending my evening meeting and chatting with many of the current Rutgers graduate in acting students. They were all very excited to meet and talk to the prospective students, or "prospies," and all of them have been very helpful and informative.
This morning, after staying the night in the home of some MFA's, I, along with some other "prospies," came to class with the MFA 1's. First was their voice class, which for the part that the "prospies" were there for was more like doing Shakespeare while doing yoga. Fun. Then we headed over to the MFA 2's clowning class, which was a very interesting experience.
Right now I am writing on location at one of the Rutgers campus libraries. I'll be joining the MFA 1's in their theatre history class as soon as they have finished taking their midterm.
So far I am having lots of fun. The MFA's are incredibly busy, and the training is difficult, but they still all seem quite relaxed, happy, and comfortable with where they have chosen to train.
I really am having a good time! Tell you more later!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,

This past week (3/25-3/27) I was a "prospie" at Rutgers as well. I would love to chat with you about your experience and whether you think you will attend in the fall. My email address is kristenca@gmail.com and I hope to hear from you!