Saturday, March 7, 2009

How to Disapear Completely and Never be Found at PCS


It's been a little embarrassing that my schedule forced me to wait this long to see the American premiere of How to Disappear Completely and Never be Found at Portland Center Stage (PCS). I feel like I've already talked about it with everyone. I've had to run out of a hundred conversations with my hands over my ears saying things like, "don't tell me anything, I'm seeing it next Friday," as though we'd been discussing a new blockbuster film or the end of the final Harry Potter book. What I gathered from literally everyone I talked to about the show was that it was great and that they could not believe I had not seen it yet.
OK, OK, everybody, you were right. I did love the show!
Going into the production I was curious to see how the book How to Disappear Completely and Never be Found, the highly intriguing, occasionally humorous, and always surprising manual to erasing your life, could be turned into a piece of theatre. I wondered if this show would be like the other more educational productions PCS has had in their current season like R. Buckminster Fuller: The History (and Mystery) of the Universe and, more recently, Apollo. While How to Disappear Completely and Never be Found retained the manuaul-like humor of the book in parts, I found it fascinating that British playwright Fin Kennedy decided to take the "what you could do" tone of the book and create a haunting, biting story of what place a person would have to be in to disappear, and what would happen to them.
I was very impressed by the intensity and intrigue of the piece. It held my complete attention the entire way through. The abstract, angular set was interesting to watch, but it still remained unintrusive, while costume design was simple and affective. Cody Nickell, who played Charlie (though his name is Adam later) gave a strong performance. His character deals with extraordinarily painful experiences, and being an audience member I could almost feel his hurt, sick, and exhaustion from my seat. The other characters were all distant in their own way, leaving Charlie contantly alone even when he was surrounded by people. Honestly, I was impressed by each member of the cast. Ebbie Roe Smith was entertaining with every character he played, he served as a much needed beacon of warmth in the show as Mike. I was also quite drawn to Kate Eastwood Norris as Sophie, her character was gentle and mysterious as she calmly added even more confusion to the show. Laura Faye Smith, who I last saw in The Receptionist at CoHo Productions, and Darius Pierce are both local actors, and they were just delightfully corporate and cold throughout most of the show. One of my favorite parts was with Pierce as the "buerocratic" court records keeper.
Well, I've talked too much, but I must say that How to Disappear Completely and Never be Found certainly lives up to all its praises throughout the community. It's playing until March 22nd, so please go see it!

No comments: