Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Importance of Being Ernest at PCS


You all know how much I love deep, impacting, even political theatre. There's a reason why I wrote a blog a mile long about How To Disappear Completely and Never Be Found, but I also believe there is something to be said for good, old silliness. I saw The Importance of Being Ernest last night at Portland Center Stage (PCS). Honestly, it was kind of nice to just sit back and escape from the world for a little while. For a few hours there was nothing but a beautiful world full of flower gardens, country homes, and elegant turn of the century dresses. Instead of worrying about wartime, or the economic crisis, or the trials and tribulations of a new presidential administration, for a few hours all I had to think about was whether Algernon and Jack would succeed in attaining Gwendolen and Cecily. In the cast I was particularly impressed by Todd Van Voris who played both Lane and Merriman, the two servants in the production. Though his role was small, he made me laugh everytime he made an appearance. I last saw Van Voris in The Seafarer at Artist Repertory Theatre (ART) in which I was also very impressed by his performance.
Speaking of the economic crisis, PCS is offering some interesting deals for The Importance of Being Ernest. Right now tickets are available for only twenty dollars, and if you produce your ticket from this play you can recieve ten dollars off your ticket for Frost/Nixon, PCS's next mainstage show, directed by Rose Riordan, written by Peter Morgan, and the basis for the award-winning film.

No comments: