Wednesday, March 11, 2009

August Osage County

This afternoon before I had to run and catch a train out of Penn Station for New Brunswick, I went to the matinee performance of August Osage County, the winner of five Tony Awards including best play. It was great!
I fell in love with this unfortunate, dysfunctional Oklahoma family. Their many exhibited problems made me laugh, cry, and cringe.
This script is loaded with strong older female characters. Estelle Parsons (who you may know as the mother from Roseanne) as Violet Weston took my breath away! So did Johanna Day as Barbara Fordham and Elizabeth Ashley as Mattie Fae Aiken.
It was a very beautiful experience. The set was mind blowing! It's literally a three story house onstage without a wall facing the audience so all the rooms are opened like a doll's house. It exposes all the family history and some of its secrets just like the show does.

No comments: