Saturday, April 4, 2009

Where All This Ends Up

To my dear family, friends, and frequent readers,
I cannot thank you enough for being on this journey with me over the last few months. You've been there for me through my exciting and successful trip to the U/RTAs in Chicago, through my final KCACTF experience, and through my whirlwind visit to Rutgers. Today I am very proud to announce, I have made a decision that affects not only the next three years of my life, but also my career in the theatre.
I recieved an offer the Thursday before last to attend graduate school at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. Their program at OU is very focused on nurturing artists to grow, they teach Meisner there, and all my sources tell me that they train very good actors. The University is closely affiliated with a summer stock theatre on Cape Cod. The graduate in acting students from OU may choose to act at this theatre over the summer while enjoying free room and board as well as salary. Every summer guest artists and directors are brought from New York and elsewhere to work on the shows with the grad students. In addition, the faculty members at OU invite successful people in theatre to come spend time in Athens and meet with the graduate students. By the way, did I mention that OU is offering me a full tuition waiver plus stipend for teaching?
I originally became aware of Ohio University's program when I was at U/RTAs. Shelley Delaney, associate professor and head of the actor training program at OU, and David Haugen, assistant professor, were two of the people who called me back after the general audition following the screening audition in Chicago. I truly enjoyed my interview with them. We talked a lot about our mutual love of regional theatre.
In an effort not to be too hasty with my decision, although OU pretty much had me at the words "Cape Cod," I contacted Deborah Hedwall at Rutgers to inform her of my outstanding offer. She told me that while I had made the very short list, Rutgers was still struggling to put together a company of actors, and she advised me to take my "great opportunity" with Ohio. Which is what I did.
Today I called Shelley Delaney, who I am so very excited to have as my new acting coach, and let her know that I was accepting her offer. Shelley seemed really happy and expressed her feeling that I would be a good fit in their program.
My current acting coach, Mindi Logan, is thrilled and thinks that this is the perfect choice for me. I agree with her.
Thank you all again. I am so happy that I know what path to take next, and I couldn't have done it without your ongoing support.
Love,
Heather

3 comments:

Jenn Hunter said...

FANTASTIC!! I also interviewed with Dennis Delaney for the Directing program and I was super impressed with their portfolio! I am thrilled for you, my dear. I know you will do well, but that was going to be the case where ever you ended up!

Cheers!

steven.weeks said...

hip hip horray!
This calls for champagne.

Shani-nanigans said...

Congrats Heather! This is so exciting! And you'll be in a swing state! Huzzah!
Don't leave for Ohio without seeing me ok? I miss you and I want to give you a hug