Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sorry, I've Been Busy

So Marat/Sade ended and I thought I would finally have a minute to breathe. Oh no, I was wrong. I've had to work on an amazing amount of academic theatre projects in the last week.
Tuesday and Thursday my Commedia Dell'Arte class was doing final performances. As Commedia is mainly a pedestrian art, we were trying our hand at street theatre around campus. We put on masks and trooped around doing small Commedia skits at popular campus hang outs. In my performance I played Arlecchino with one classmate playing Capitano and one playing Dottore. Our skit involved a pumpkin pie, it was very funny.
Wednesday evening I was in a musical revue for my musical theatre class. I had a duet as well as a solo from The Magic Show, and I had a fairly substantial solo in one of our group numbers as Dolly in "Put on Your Sunday Clothes" from Hello Dolly. So that was fun.
Wednesday and Thursday night I participated in this awesome project. The University of Portland finally has a new play festival that they hope to make an annual thing. Five plays were read both nights. Some were staged while others were choral readings. I was in a play by my friend William Steele called Wheat and Grapes, in which I played a pregnant seventeen year old considering an abortion. Though I thought all the young playwrights did well, I was particularly proud of my buddy Conor Eifler. Eifler is a young playwright who although he's only finishing his sophomore year in college has enjoyed such successes as having his shows read and Visions and Voices at Portland Center Stage and at the JAW; a Playwrights Festival also at Portland Center Stage. His show at University of was a full length one act, and it was hilarious! Way to go!
Finally, on Friday night it was time to do our annual Performing and Fine Arts Banquet. This is kind of the departments farewell to the seniors. It was very fun and very emotional. I recieved the Outstanding Achievment Award for On-stage work.
So that's why I haven't written much. I promise I'll be back out seeing plays soon!

No comments: