Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Heather Goes a Long Way to the Theatre 01


Tomorrow, life as I know it will be over.
I am leaving Oregon! Leaving lovely Rogue Valley where I grew up, and leaving the home state of my beloved city, Portland, where I spent the last four years completing my undergraduate degree and soaking in enormous amounts of great Oregon theatre. Yes, I am leaving all of it behind to get my Masters of Fine Arts in acting at the reputable Ohio University. For the next three years I will live, dare I say it...in the Midwest.
First, though, I have to get there.
My father and I will be spending the next five days squeezed tightly in my little GMC pick-up truck which is currently piled high with all my stuff. Oh boy.
Shopping for road food with Dad today was definitely the most amusing part of the afternoon. He got Doritos, I got Soy Crisps. He got Dr. Pepper, I got Hanson's root beer. He got a box of cookies, I got a bunch of Odwalla bars. He got cheese and crackers, I got hummus and carrots. About the only thing we'll be sharing is fruit. It should be an interesting ride. We did make sure to get a bottle of organic red wine and a cork screw.
He's also made sure to remind me that he wants to stop at every "Welcome To..." sign, and also the "Leaving Oregon" sign. I sat quietly for a while and then told him I could not express my excitement in words.
I'll keep updating the blog. So feel free to tune in! Ohio or bust!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm wondering how your dad is going to feel after eating doritos and dr pepper for a few days. Suddenly you will look over and see him desperately stuffing carrots and hummus into his pockets.

jill said...

Hi Heather - I have enjoyed reading about your drive to Ohio - it is a great way to see the country, burros and all. I look forward to hearing about your adventures at OU and hope you will keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. You will be missed in the costume shop lady! Break a leg.
xox jill