Sunday, July 26, 2009

JAW 2009: I play rough!

Today is the last day of JAW a Playwrights Festival at Portland Center Stage (PCS), and everything seems to be winding down. Thank you everyone who came to see me in the three short plays I was in at the festival. I felt really good about how they all went, and the audience seemed to enjoy the shows a lot. I imagine that's mostly due to the brilliant young playwrights who wrote the shows; Robyn Pritzker who wrote Open the Box, Alec Chase who wrote Fleeced, and Emily Schad who wrote Mental Ugly.
I was very happy to see so many people at PCS yesterday seeing JAW. It's wonderful that so many people in Portland are interested in seeing new work! And what new work to see! The mainstage shows have been brilliant so far. Yesterday afternoon was Futura by Jordan Harrison, quite a treat for anyone into typefaces, and yesterday evening was Middletown by Will Eno. What I love about Middletown is that while it's very funny, it kind of sneaks up on you. Both last night and in our preliminary table readings at the beiginning of the festival, I felt like I should spontaneously burst into tears at some points of the play and laugh hysterically at others. Both Futura and Middletown were so evocative!
Well the festival is not over yet, so if you can make it I highly suggest the shows today. At 4:00 is Kick by Ivy Knight and On The Nature of Dust by Stephanie Timm. At 8:00 is Ovum by Malcom Stumpf and 99 Ways to Fuck a Swan by Kimberly Rosenstock. Both are FREE, so come!

No comments: