Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Equivocation at OSF

A Little Night Music ended, and I took off straight on vacation. Finally a break from the tyranny of school and work. I spent nearly a week at the coast first at a friend's beach house in Walport, and then continued heading south to my parent's place in Southern Oregon. Summer down here means just a few things, great hiking, rafting on the Rogue River, and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival (OSF).
Last night I got my mother to head to the festival with me where we grabbed tickets for the world premiere of Equivocation. This show was saturated with history and inside theatre jokes which the highly educated, Shakespeare loving audience adored. It weaves the complicated tale of William Shakespeare and his band of actors after being commissioned to put on a play chronicalling the infamous 1605 Gunpowder Plot. In their efforts to put on a true account of the event they manage to unearth a dangerously political would be conspiracy and realize the full extent of the religious division in England.
Equivocation was touching, funny, and provocative.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw this show last week, too! maybe we were there at the same time...I thought it was fantastic. It transfers to Seattle Rep in the fall, I will go see again up there. I do think that audiences away from Ashland will really appreciate the production; I also think they will respond much more quietly and with less of a self-referential air. Interesting....