Saturday, October 11, 2008

Women Playwrights at RTR

OK, we're not slaving over hand cranked laundry, or getting our milk straight from the cow, or literally standing over a hot stove all day anymore, but in a lot of ways it's still a man's world. So naturally, I think Wendy Wilcox (director) had a beautiful idea when she decided to celebrate women playwrights this month at Reader's Theatre Repertory (RTR). The evening's entertainment was comprised of three separate pieces; Audition by Jane Martin, Anything For You by Cathy Celesia, and finally Tatto Girl by Naomi Iizuka. I chuckled my way through the shows from start to finish. To make things even better, Wendy chose a fantastic cast. All her actors were quite talented and fit their roles very well. I have to say that Elizabeth Garrett and Marsha Allen were wonderful. I was particularly fond of their work together in Anything For You. They brought a humaness to the characters in this piece that really made me forget I was an audience member. They drew me in. Don't forget to come to this evening's performance at the Blackfish Gallery on Ninth Avenue in the Pearl District!
For further information visit them at www.readerstheatrerep.org or e-mail them at info@readerstheatrerep.org.

No comments: