Sunday, October 26, 2008

Something to do for Halloween

On Friday night I went to see the most terrifying show, and, if you can believe it, it was an opera! Alright, I know some of you out there are thinking, "Opera? Absolutely not! Musical theatre, maybe, but certainly not opera!" Well, don't judge too hastily on this one. First, it's in English, so you won't have to worry about deciphering Italian or German. Second, they're describing this show as what Alfred Hitchcock would have created had he made an opera, and they could not be more right. And finally, it's at the Someday Lounge so you're welcome to grab a drink from the bar at intermission.
The show is The Medium and it is presented by Opera Theater Oregon, a company that seems to specialize in what they call "alternative Opera." Their mission is to bring opera to new audiences and offer a new angle on the art form for confirmed opera lovers.
I loved the show! It was totally engaging and completely chilling. The perfect Halloween treat. Written in 1946, this production of The Medium is set in the 1950s. Sitting in your seat with your cocktail, you feel as though you are transported into this dark, classic thriller. The cast does a beautiful job. I came specifically to see my voice teacher, Wendy Parker, who does touching work as Mrs. Nolan, a grieved woman who, a year after the untimely death of her sixteen year old daughter, seeks contact with the dead through the medium. Truly, I was impressed by all the performers. Christine Meadows who performs the starring role, Madame Flora, blew me away.
The Medium will also be playing on Thursday, October 30th and Friday, October 31st. I recommend it strongly! For more information visit http://www.operatheateroregon.com/. There are several ways to buy tickets in advance, and it is $15 as opposed the $17 at the door. Buy online at http://www.operatheateroregon.com/tickets.html, or over the phone at 503-205-0715.

1 comment:

Katie Taylor said...

Dear Heather,

I just found your blog entry through google analytics (which I am a little behind on checking). Thank you! I'm so pleased you enjoyed the show, and the comment "I went to see the most terrifying show, and, if you can believe it, it was an opera!" is one I'll treasure for a long time. Thanks for coming, and best wishes for happy holidays.

Katie Taylor
Artistic Director
Opera Theater Oregon