Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Laramie Update


Graduate school seems to be moving at the speed of light. When I'm not in a three hour acting class I am studying movement, or voice, or speech. Perhaps I'm reading a book about acting methodology in Japan, or running to an audition, or rehearsing with another student for class, or performing a playwright's new project, I don't know! It's just a blur, but when I have an hour or two I am working on The Laramie Project: Ten Years Later. An event that I continue to be extremely excited for.
In preparation for our reading here at Ohio University, a lot of really astounding information about the project on a national level has come to our attention. One thing that happened was House Resolution 777. This resolution was introduced in Congress on the 24th and actually honors all those participating in the production of The Laramie Project: Ten Years Later in remembrance of Matthew Shepard. As a participating member in the national project I am ecstatic to be recognized by the government, and I hope that such recognition will continue to spur awareness and legislation concerning hate crimes against all victims including those of alternative sexual lifestyles.
So the preliminary event to the mass nationwide reading of The Laramie Project: Ten Years Later (in which over 150 theaters are now a part of) is the live feed that is coming from New York's Lincoln Center. This webcast will be hosted by Glenn Close and will include Judy Sheppard, Matthew's mother. There will also be a a post-production Question and Answer session moderated by National Public Radio Arts and Culture correspondent Neda Ulabay (information from Playbill.com).
I am so happy to be part of this far-reaching, powerful project. A project that displays how meaningful the Matthew Shepard story still is, as well as art's ability to influence a nation. If you're anywhere near a reading please, please, please go see it. Portlanders, that means you! I know there's one at Oregon State University, and the New Century Players are also presenting a reading at Newmark Theater; Portland Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Portland. So, no excuses!

No comments: