Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Finally Saw Crazy Enough


I have been trying to see this play for forever. The first time Luke and I had to change our ticket because we realized we had a trip to the beach planned for that day. So we changed the date to June 5th. That would've been great, except that I got this job working backstage A Little Night Music and that show opened on June 5th. Gritting my teeth, I gave that ticket away. Not one to give up on a show that everyone in town is talking about and one that I have waited to see all year, I stood in a surprisingly lengthy stand-by line last night at 6:30 (an hour before the show). I had just bet Luke a burrito and a sweet tamale that I would not get into the play that night when a woman came by offering a single ticket for that evening's performance for twenty bucks. I jumped on it and ended up sitting in the second row center, an awesome seat for this type of piece. Of course I now have a burrito and sweet tamale on my conscience.
As for the show, can I just say, Storm Large, I love you. That was awesome. And let me tell you, a crude, raw, hilarious, touching one-woman show about being a troubled rock-star is just what I needed after so many nights in a row of A Little Night Music. I was so jazzed by the play that the bike ride back up to North Portland did not even phase me. Maybe that's because I was blaring the Crazy Enough soundtrack on my ipod the whole way.
Truly, the show was great. The music was fantastic. There are some brilliant original tracks, and Storm's beautiful cover of the Pixies "Where is my Mind" absolutely gave me chills. It was inspiring to see Storm open her life so much onstage. She's very brave to be able to tackle personal family issues, mental illness, promiscuous sex, and drug addiction among other things in a room full of strangers night after night, but rest assured I'm convinced that everyone there loved her for it. She is entertaining, inspiring, and totally cool, no doubt.
Speaking of the Drammy's Crazy Enough earned Storm the 'Musical Actress in a lead role' Award--congratulations, and she and James Beaton took home one of the 'Original Music' awards. Crazy Enough was recently extended through July 26th. So please go see it at Portland Center Stage (PCS).

1 comment:

mb said...

This play even won me over. In context, "Where Is My Mind?" works.