Saturday, May 9, 2009

Frost/Nixon at PCS



There's no doubt Portland is into politics. The biggest audience I've seen at a non-musical, non-opening performance at Portland Center Stage (PCS) was last night at Frost/Nixon, and everyone was really digging the show.
Written by Peter Morgan and directed by Rose Riordan, Frost/Nixon is the story of a series of interviews with former president Richard Nixon a few years after his resignation, conducted by British journalist David Frost. No, I have not seen the new movie, so I cannot compare the two, but I did find the play a really fascinating time.
Incorporating multimedia into their set designs seems to have been a theme this season at PCS , or at least it certainly happened in R. Buckminster Fuller: The History (and Mystery) of the Universe and in Apollo. In Frost/Nixon the multiple screen background showing a number of different images really worked for me. It not only helped set mood and location, but it provided images from the time period and also gave the audience an understanding of the intimate nature the camera brought to the interviews with Nixon.
A memorable performance was given by Bill Christ as Richard Nixon. I found myself feeling truly sorry for the former president character at the end of the show. He appeared to me, a man in a world of media he could not quite understand or fit in with. A world that reduced his achievements down to his regret for his illegal involvement in Watergate. I thought the show was moving and impacting. The ensemble was wonderful. Congratulations to all.
Unfortunately, I saw the play rather late in it's run, and this is it's last weekend, so hurry over!

No comments: