Saturday, September 13, 2008

Eleemosynary at RTR


Last night I brought a few friends to see the Readers Theater Repertory (RTR) production of Eleemosynary by Lee Blessing. By a few friends I of course me my director and a fellow cast member of our production of Eleemosynary which will be performed at the University in December. The production was lovely, as I imagined it would be, and true to form, Echo's final monologue brought tears to my eyes.
The production is playing again tonight, Saturday September 13, and I highly suggest it. RTR is a little production company close to my heart as I personally know many of the creators and have worked on their stage a couple of times. They don't put on full productions, instead they do staged readings every month, but that's one thing that is so beautiful about their work. The actors' work is organic. They're still in the middle of process and discovery. None of the characters are crystallized yet. They're just people, and because of that the play becomes so engrossing that you forget the actors are holding scripts. You forget the actors. Even though there's minimal set, costume, and lights, the play still takes you over. It's wonderful.
Productions begin at 8:00pm. They play in the Blackfish Gallery located on 9th avenue between Flanders and Glisan downtown. It's only $8.00 to get in, and it's worth every dollar. If you can't make it tonight, their October production of Tatto Girl will play on the 10th and 11th.
For further information visit them at www.readerstheatrerep.org or e-mail them at info@readerstheatrerep.org.

No comments: